ar

Tuesday, December 24, 2002

World Series: So Close, Yet So Far Away

Unless you have been living under a rock, you know that my San Francisco Giants defied all odds this season. They won the Wild Card race, sending them to the playoffs. Methodically, they picked off Atlanta and St. Louis to advance to the World Series. I was absolutely ecstatic. Here was a chance for my local team to bring the ultimate honor to its city and its fans. The Blue Jays did it in 1992 and 1993. It had been a decade. I was ready to ring in that triumph with my new team, the Giants.

Game 6 of the World Series was the game that was supposed to be the final victory for the Giants. It was played in Anaheim. The city of San Francisco put up a nice-sized Jumbotron in a big clearing behind the Metreon complex. Hundreds and hundreds of fans braved the cool evening weather to cheer on their team. There were many cops milling around, but of course, nobody was misbehaving. The cops were doing little more than drinking coffee and watching the game. Everything was perfect.

I went to the City, along with many other die-hards, to bear witness to sure victory. I was ready. I had a cooler with soda and a Subway sandwich. I had my stadium blanket and jacket (San Francisco does get cold in October when it's dark). I had my Giants hat and camera. I was ready to watch the game, cheer the team to victory, then take to the streets and celebrate, cheering and dancing, with thousands of others. I was READY.

And they blew it.

When people talk about this World Series, undoubtedly what they will talk about is how the Giants gave up a 5-0 lead in Game 6 and meekly retreated into the shadows as Anaheim decisively trounced them in this game and in Game 7.

I was ready to ring in the World Series for the San Francisco Giants. I was ready to watch them defy all odds and bring home the ultimate victory to their city. I was ready to take to the streets with hundreds of fans and celebrate. Instead, all I could do was go home and mope.

I couldn't watch the news for 2 days afterwards. It was so depressing.

Next year ? Perhaps. But I'll never forget how close they came, and how they let it slip away like dry sand through their fingertips.


[see next post]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services