ar

Monday, May 30, 2005

Email Addiction

Today's San Jose Mercury News published the results of an AOL study on the email habits of the public across the country. It turns out that the Bay Area is #2 in the US, behind Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, in email addiction.

Does this surprise anyone ? Certainly not I !

Every morning, the gym facility at my work is teeming with employees, performing their exercise routines before the grind of the workday. It is common to see people on the elliptical machines and stationary bikes, with their laptops perched on the magazine stands, typing away while stepping and pedalling furiously. Multitasking at its best !

I sometimes see one particular individual taking his laptop around with him to the weight machines. He'll do a set on the weights, send a few emails while his muscles recover, then do another set on the weights. Repeat until workout is done. Dedication ? I'd say so.

I once asked him if he took that thing in the bathroom with him. He laughed, but didn't directly answer my question.

According to the news article, 6% of respondents check their email while in the bathroom. Who wants to bet this guy is one of them ?

Although that begs the question: how does one gracefully put the laptop down when one has to wipe ? Or is there a delicate balancing act from knee to knee ? This, I would like to know. Hmm.. on second thought, perhaps not.

Our company touts employee efficiency and productivity as one of the pinnacles of its great success. The antics of its gym attendees is living proof that said campaign has been successful.

In case you're wondering, no, I don't check my email while in the bathroom. But, I will be hooking up my wireless router at home sometime soon. After that, it's open seas. Who knows what the future may hold ? :)

Link to article: [Mercury News]

2 Comments:

Blogger Monkey said...

Wireless router on the way huh!?

You'll be one of those 6% in no time! :-)

Nice to meet you.

May 30, 2005 at 9:17:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great. Now I have to add "other people's laptops" to the list of things I won't use for fear they've had it in the bathroom...


BTW, I have a wireless router and I never use mine in the bathroom. I also don't take my phone in there. ;)

June 9, 2005 at 12:26:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services