ar

Thursday, March 09, 2006

What's in a Name ?

For 25 years of my life, I was named Andrea D. The D stands for an ethnic name that is quite obviously European. As my father was born in Matera in southern Italy, my name was a reflection of that portion of my heritage.

Due to pressure from my mother-in-law-to-be, and my desire to keep the peace, I changed it when I first was married. I got used to being Andrea A. I was fine with it then.

After the divorce, I didn't change it back right away. Everyone in California knows me as A., and I'd just have to go through the same name-changing bureaucratic agony if/when I got married again. At the time, I thought, why bother ?

But then I started asking myself, why should I have to change my name when I get married ? That is the culture in North America, but not in many other parts of the world, including Europe and French Canada. I see more and more women in this country electing to keep their maiden names, with little apparent backlash. Why can't I do that too ?

My last name is not just my title. It's my heritage. It's a part of my identity. I shouldn't have to lose that when I decide to share my life with another person.

So yesterday, I announced to all my friends and family that I was changing back. All the paperwork with the various legal agencies has been done, and now, I am officially known as Andrea D. again.

Many have commented on what a beautiful Italian name it is. One person even said "Sounds like a diva."

To me, it just sounds like me.

Andrea D.

It's what I was, it's what I am, and it's what I'm going to be.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Andrea D!

March 22, 2006 at 7:13:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services