ar

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Soothing a Child in Distress

Yesterday, the tones went out for an allergic reaction with one of the children at my company's daycare. Immediately, the hair stood up on the back of my neck.

We had run on this boy before. Rather unfortunately, the poor little guy is allergic to just about everything - milk, eggs, soy, peas, shrimp - the list goes on and on. His past reactions, even those by simple contact, had included hives and swelling - hence the urgency of the call.

When I arrived, I noticed the hives, and thankfully saw no swelling. As I approached him to listen to his lungs, gloves on and stethoscope in my ears, I wondered how he would react to my rather intrustive assessment. Before putting the stethoscope on his chest, I got down to his level, smiled at him, let him touch the end of the scope, and then pressed it against his chest.

Not a peep escaped him. And as an added bonus, his lung sounds were clear.

Of course, when the big burly medics arrived, our 18-month-old patient screamed bloody murder, and was only consolable by his father. But for the brief moments that I was with him, he was relatively calm.

I'd say that is a win.

And even better, his reaction subsided quickly, due to the quick action of his caregivers to inject Benadryl at the first signs of trouble.

With the most impeccable timing, the EMTs on our Emergency Response Team had just recently been issued the most awesome oxygen delivery mechanism for children ever - devices in the shape and colors of toy bears. Our little patient took to this bear immediately, and seemed to even be calmed by its presence. Having the bear was a win-win, as it delivered needed blow-by oxygen, and it comforted the child by giving him something to cuddle.

I highly recommend the bear to anyone who comes into contact with small children requiring blow-by oxygen delivery. Consider me a huge fan now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Foxxy One said...

How frightening! I always see teachers at Dylan's day care walking with the kids with anywhere from one to several epi kits in hand. They don't leave the room without them.

The bear sounds fantastic!

December 23, 2009 at 5:44:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

So that was the allergic call huh?

When'd we get the bear, Andrea? I DONT HAVE A BEAR AND I MUST HAVE ONE THEY ARE SOOOO CUTE.

December 27, 2009 at 9:49:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services