ar

Friday, April 20, 2007

What A Waste

For a number of years, one of my favorite performances has always been Cirque du Soleil. I've seen a number of their shows, both live and on TV, and have consistently been awed and amazed at the sheer athleticism, power, grace and precision of this incredible circus-style act. So when I saw that a number of Cirque shows were available in Vegas, I jumped at the chance to buy tickets.

Danny and I both love action movies, and with my additional love of martial arts, the show KA seemed the most desirable. The review promised the great acrobatics that Cirque is famous for, as well as martial arts and epic battles. We were stoked. This had to be good. I thought nothing of paying close to $300 for tickets to this event.

Seated in the theater, I was giddy with anticipation. Puffs of fire released periodically from behind the huge moving stage. Jesters milled about and hung from the rafters. All of these things I remembered from previous shows. The lights dimmed, and the acrobats appeared. I knew it was going to be good. It had to be. It was Cirque du Soleil.

We watched as the storyline progressed. Some dancing, some light fighting, but nothing spectacular. No acrobatics yet. "They'll do it soon," I promised Danny. This was Cirque du Soleil, right ? They always have awesome physical feats in thier shows.

We waited. And waited. And waited.

More dancing. More silliness. But still, no acrobatics. My patience was starting to wane.

Then, they did the epitome of all ridiculousness.

Two of the acrobats huddled in front of a makeshift fire, and made finger shadows.

Not just a few, to generate chuckles, but a full five minutes of finger shadows and cheesy bouncy music.

You have got to be kidding me.

This is a Cirque du Soleil show, famous for its incredible athletic feats and acrobatic wonders, and they're sitting there doing freakin' finger shadows ?! What kind of bullcrap is this ? I felt duped. Ripped off. Played for a fool.

In the entire 90-minute show, there was a grand total of five minutes where they did some really cool acrobatics on a turning wheel with a jump rope. But that was it. The rest of the show was pure, utter and complete idiocy. Even the "martial arts" sequences were lame. We were completely disappointed.

And I wasted $300 on that crap.

At the end, people were giving a standing ovation. For what ? The only standing I was doing was to get the hell out of there. I suppose if you the ballet is your thing, you'd enjoy this show. But if you were like us, and expecting the superb acrobatics that Cirque is famous for, you'd be very, very disappointed.

At least the popcorn was good. That's the only positive to this entire experience.

$300. On good popcorn, and 90 wasted minutes of our lives.

I'm pissed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services