ar

Monday, January 31, 2005

Youth or experience ?

My good friend Matthew recently wrote in his own blog about the pros and cons of adult life versus that of a child. Which is better, the carefree existence of a child, or the tantalizing benefits, and associated stress and tribulation, of an adult ? My answer was this:

Who says you can't have both ?

I am an adult, a software engineer, a wife, a taxpayer and a homeowner. I do grocery shopping every week, fold the laundry and clean the kitchen. Yet my husband and I find great enjoyment in indulging in the various video games at Dave and Busters and watching reruns of Looney Tunes. Softball (often seen as a kids' game) is one of my great joys in life. I still love (and always will) a long, loud night of dancing to awesome music with like-minded people. Who says my age must get in the way of that ?

Being an adult has its downfalls, its stress, its responsibilities and commitments. But it does not mean that one is trapped in a cage, resigned to a life of PTA meetings, carpools, bad movies on cable TV and shopping for toilet brushes at Wal-Mart.

Adults have a way of allowing external factors and/or family pressures to suck the life, creativity and spirit out of them. This is not the fault of adult life itself; it is the choice (conscious or not) of the individual.

I choose to live my life with a vibrant devotion to the various sports, activities and people that surround me. Even as the pressure mounts and I find myself weighted heavily by responsibility, I have not forgotten how to let loose and have fun. Life is a mere shadow of itself if not explored, pursued, enjoyed and shared.

Especially with some low-fat ice cream, a good friend, and a scintillating game of Ms. Pac-Man.

1 Comments:

Blogger Foxxy One said...

it's very very quite in here - why haven't you been blogging young lady?

April 26, 2005 at 2:05:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services