ar

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Nature's Majesty

This past Fourth of July weekend, I was fortunate enough to be invited to my good friend Katrina's ranch in Reno, along with various family members and friends. I set out Saturday afternoon for the 215-mile trip, eagerly anticipating the chance to spend the holiday with this very special group of people.

As is my custom, I maintained a brisk, aggressive pace throughout the almost three-hour drive. However, when I ascended to the summit of the Sierra Nevada mountains, rising to approximately 7,200 feet, I had no choice but to slow down and marvel at the majestic, breathtaking beauty that surrounded me.

On all sides, 360 degrees, I was enveloped by the stunning display of nature's elegant handiwork. Mountains, some peaks still dusted with snow, rose sharply from the valleys below. Their sides were were dotted with lush, bright green vegetation, their faces glistening with the warm, gentle touch of the midday sun. My little red car, and the road traversing this natural wonder, just seemed so out of place.

I had driven this route two times previously, but this day, for the first time, I was rendered speechless by that which encircled me. I had forgotten how incredible it truly was. No photograph, no video camera, no description could ever do it justice.

Had I forgotten the breathtaking beauty of this place ? Or had I never really looked before ?

Sunday night, a group of us hiked up and around a small mountain behind the ranch houses, straying off the beaten path, talking, laughing and joking with one another. As the sun started its descent into the horizon, we came upon the steepest, toughest part of the journey. At that moment, I was inspired. I slung my purse over my shoulder, centered myself, and raced straight to the to the summit, some 100 feet up. At the peak, I feasted my eyes on the towering mountain range off in the distance, the city lights twinkling below, the sunset casting a rosy glow around it. I breathed deeply, drawing in the warm, clean, untainted air, filling my lungs with its healing energy, spreading it through my body, cleansing my soul.




The power and the beauty of nature has always been around me. I'd never truly appreciated it until now.

Today, it was back to the grind of the working life. It was also the day that I officially started my new job, helping test a technology product that will ultimately be used by EMS, Fire, Police, FBI and related agencies to save lives and to help others. My mind is clear, my body is refreshed, my spirit is recharged. With this, and with the deep passion in my heart for this product and its cause, I feel like I can take on the world - one small step at a time.

Never again will I let the daily minutiae of commuting, errands and busywork overtake my life. Never again will I forget to truly appreciate the world around me. Never again will I lose track of what is truly important. I will always have time for the people and the activities I care about, and I will always take the to reset, refresh, and nurture my inner spirit.

Today is the perfect day to start.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! :-)

July 8, 2005 at 9:50:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: From Joe

July 8, 2005 at 9:50:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services