ar

Saturday, December 24, 2005

Bushido

"Way of the Warrior" is how it is defined. Developed between the 11th and 14th centuries, Bushido is the code and way of life of the Samurais.

They do not fear death or danger. They live their lives with honesty, integrity and self-control. They show unwavering loyalty to the society which they serve. They treat all living beings with the ultimate of respect, regardless of their social status.

The Samurai is not supposed to show joy or pain. He displays no passion, that which may make him vulnerable. In this, I admit that I am not successful. My passion for fitness, martial arts and volunteering is what gives me the motivation and spirit to perservere under extreme physical stress. It is what drives me to voluntarily subject myself to various forms of torment in the pursuit of my goals.

Bushido is training with the Los Angeles Seido Karate dojos for three hours on the beach, after less than two hours' sleep the night before; the last technique as strong and spirited as the first.

Bushido is running around and around the leaf-covered hills in Golden Gate Park, executing our blocks and kicks while the torrential rain unleashed its wrath on us, vehemently shouting "ki-ai !" against the bellowing thunder.

Bushido is scaling the football stadium steps over and over again, weighted down by 75 pounds of sandbags, until my legs were trembling from overexertion.

Bushido is doing the above to one day have the privilege of holding a fire hose on a burning building, for no salary other than the satisfaction of the opportunity to do so.

This is my interpretation of Bushido.

Others may call it insanity. I'm not sure there's a difference.

But I'm having the time of my life finding out.

Sources: [Way of the Warrior, Wikipidea]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services