ar

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Fun With Stickshift

One of the criteria that I searched for on my new car was manual transmission. Problem: I'd never had a car with a manual transmission before. Sure, I'd learned how to drive stick a few years ago, on two separate occasions, with a friend and his rental cars when he came to visit. I was functional, albeit imperfect. But that was a long time ago, and each car is different.

You might ask, "Why did you get a manual shift ? Why not automatic ?" Truth be told, I could have easily bought an automatic. There are tons of them out there, and many were available a few months ago when I started searching. But I just couldn't buy a sporty convertible like this without a stickshift. It just seemed wrong.

Unlike some people who simply want to get from A to B, I want to actually feel the car. I want to experience the drive. I want to be connected to the car and to the road. You just can't do that in an automatic. And admittedly, the thought of dropping it down a gear and taking off like a bat out of hell on a freeway merge ramp invigorates me.

I want to feel the exhiliration of reaching freeway speeds in a few seconds flat. I want to experience the wind blowing through my hair as I cruise along the way. I want to feel the drive - not just reach the destination.

Automatic just would not do. I had no choice but to find a vehicle with manual shift.

So on Sunday, Danny took me out to the big tech-company parking lot near my house, and we practiced with my new car. For two hours, we drove back and forth, stopping and starting, driving and shifting, till I felt I had the hang of it.

And yesterday, in a moment of extreme bravery, I decided to drive it to work. I knew I wouldn't be perfect. I knew I'd have trouble. But the only way to improve is to get better, right ?

That morning, I drove the 11-mile, surface-street-only trip to work. At lunch, I picked up my friend, went to the Pho place, dropped him off, and went back to work. I also drove to softball (in traffic), and then home.

Stall count: 5
Honked at count: 1

Feeling of merging onto the freeway at high speeds with ease, as the seat warmer toasted my frozen butt: Priceless.

It can only get better with time.

I'm looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services