ar

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Pot, Meet Kettle

Danny's sick too.

Between the two of us, we're coughing, hacking, nose-blowing Kleenex hogs. One could not see the end table for all the snot rags we placed there during a one-hour episode of Law & Order last night.

Even while sick, Danny is reluctant to miss his regular, three-times-weekly visits to the gym. It's an addiction, he says. He feels irritable and disappointed if he has to skip a workout. I understand that completely, as I feel the same way about my softball and karate. One missed opportunity renders me cranky and full of guilt. I know how he feels.

Yesterday, a few hours after texting me that he was feeling like utter crap, he went to the gym.

I wanted to kick his butt. Working out while sick is a terrible strain on your body. You need to rest and allow yourself to heal. That is what I've always said to people around me. But I know perfectly well that I don't follow my own advice.

This past weekend, I went to my karate class on Saturday, and then to my belt promotion test on Sunday. I felt like a truck had run over me both mornings. I had no strength, and very little energy; barely able to get out of bed with the effects of this sinus infection. But I ignored my bodily ailments, sucked it up, and went anyway. Yes, I made it through both classes, but barely.

So, when Danny told me he went to the gym yesterday, what, really, could I say to him ?

Absolutely nothing.

We both love our exercise, and would not even consider giving it up unless we're on our deathbeds. I can't, in good conscience, give him heck for doing the very same thing that I had just done on the weekend.

Call us crazy. Call us addicted. But nobody can ever call us lazy.

Now, it's time to pop some more Sudafed.

I need to be snot-free for karate tonight.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope both of you are feeling better.
Sandy is sick. Emily and Katie are staying with the Grandparents.

February 11, 2007 at 1:13:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services