ar

Monday, May 05, 2008

A Step Toward Manhood

At 15, Daniel is your typical teenager, interested in girls, music, video games and kicking it with his "homies". Unlike his dad, he is fair-haired, and lately has developed some light facial stubble. He has asked about shaving in the past, however Danny has always advised him to wait a while. It was so light-colored and fair at the time, that shaving would only make it darker and more difficult to manage.

Today, Daniel's girlfriend told him that she did not like the rough hairs on the side of his face, and that he should shave them. Daniel, one who always wishes to make his girlfriend happy, was hell-bent on complying.

"Dad. I need a razor. I need to shave this stubble off my face right now !"

"I don't have an extra one, and I'm feeling sick. I can go to Target tomorrow for you."

"Can't I just use yours ?"

I jumped in. "Actually, that's not a good idea. Sharing razors is not very hygenic, and I really don't recommend it."

Daniel replied, "What should I do then ? I don't want to wait until tomorrow !"

"Well," I said, "You can use one of mine if you want."

I buy disposable women's razors in ten-packs, and had plenty of unused ones to spare.

They are pink.

With purple handles.

Daniel had a decision to make: Shave for the very first time, with a sexy pink and purple razor made especially for the delicate curves on a woman's leg, or wait until tomorrow when Danny could obtain the men's version for him.

He elected to go with the girly razor.

Daniel proudly shaved, for the very first time, holding the purple handle steadily as he dragged the double-blades encased in pink plastic across his face.

Only a real man could do this, and be proud of it to boot.


After he was finished, he put a batch of cookies into the oven, then proceeded to don my big, bulky blue oven mitts, and do the robot dance around the kitchen.

Heh. I love this kid.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Oh, how funny! Girls can be very judgemental of that facial hair, lemme tell ya, I have a 14 year old daughter and the boys sideburns and attempted mustaches are always a topic of conversation. He made the right choice. LOL

May 8, 2008 at 7:02:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Erin said...

Too funny, and don't forget in five or thirty years to tell that story at his wedding reception!!! I can just picture standing on stage...telling about the first time my boy had to shave and the only good razor in the house was pink and purple...and then he became a man...now he's getting married...future blackmail material at it's best.

May 8, 2008 at 12:44:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services