ar

Friday, April 08, 2005

The Drive to Succeed - Part II

The pull-up contest at the gym has just ended. Many participated, some did better than others, and a good time was had by all. Entering was not simply a matter of hanging from a bar and hoisting oneself up and down as many times as possible. The twist was that one must go up and down to the beat of a metronome. Lose cadence, and the attempt is over. This eliminated the positive effects of momentum, and left only the strength of the individual participant to compete with.

Guess who got first place in the women's category ?

Yep.



Just goes to show you how motivating a challenge and competition can be. Previously, performing pull-ups was only a passing thought. Now, it is an integral part of my workout routine, and of my daily life, as I pass under the bar to my bathroom at home.

Next month's competition is "The Plank" - an strength and endurance test of the core (abdominal) muscles. I just might enter. :)

Tonight, I am on the red-eye to Toronto for my sister's bridal shower and some much-needed relaxation and reconnecting with dear friends. I am told it has stopped snowing, but I will believe it when I see it !

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, see, that is mostly because you CAN pass under a pull-up bar in a doorway. Hell, I have trouble with most midsize cars, and don't have a lot of doorway clearance. My girlfriend is about the same height as you, and HATES my kitchen, since she can't reach anything. Oh, well. I guess i'll just have to keep doing other stuff.

April 19, 2005 at 3:18:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services