ar

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Decisions, Decisions

I'm struggling with whether or not I should take the final portion of my karate belt promotion test today.

I know I'm going to get my ass kicked. That happens at every promotion. The goal is to push you to your limits and beyond, until you break down. There are many ways to do this: constant, vigorous practice past the point of exhaustion; push-ups with the Black belts leaning on your shoulders; long, drawn-out punch and kick sequences until you can barely lift your limbs. And at my belt level (Green), to promote to Advanced Green, I will be tested on sparring. Against my teacher, and the second-degree black belt.

I know I'm in for a butt-whooping to the 10th degree.

But I want to do this. I'm feeling better from my latest bout of illness, and for the first time in weeks, I actually feel like I have some energy. I have to do it at some point, so why not today ?

Danny, Daniel and I are going snowboarding with Danny's brother Miguel tomorrow. Miguel is an expert, but the three of us are beginners. I hear it's brutal to learn at first. Maybe I should stay home and rest today in preparation for another beating tomorrow.

Or maybe I shouldn't. It would be a shame to waste all the energy I have coursing through my veins right now. I want to do my belt promotion. I am ready.

I think I might regret this on Monday.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Hey, I hope you go for your promotion!

I'm advanced yellow at the moment (Seido, Dunedin, New Zealand) and hope to grade to green at the end of April. I can't wait to to some sparring!

Let me know how it goes :-)

Osu
Jo

March 6, 2007 at 12:07:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Keywords: Andrea Di Lecce, andrea di lecce, Andrea DiLecce, andrea dilecce, Andrea Abrahamsen, andrea abrahamsen, Slinky, slinky, SlinkyGal, SLiNKyGaL, slinkygal, SlinkyDee, slinkydee, Toronto, toronto, San Francisco, san francisco, San Jose, san jose, softball, Seido karate, volleyball, blog, emotion, philosophy, funny, jokes, musings, psychology, EMT, EMS, emergency medical services